- Organization name: TheraPanacea
- Country: France/Europe
- Intervention zone: Worldwide
- Creation date: 2017
- Status: enterprise
- Staff: 45
- Cancer is the leading cause of mortality and morbidity globally. Radiation therapy is used in more than 50% of patients treated for cancer. As the number of cancer cases rises, so does the demand for radiotherapy. Both the increasing number and complexity of treatments available are leading to higher treatment associated costs.
- At TheraPanacea, an award-winning medical technology company created in 2017, we are harnessing AI to develop cutting-edge software for more efficient and precise cancer care. We offer pioneering holistic approaches for cancer research and treatment based on a multi-scale integration of medicine, information theory, data curation and computational medicine.
- Our mission is to improve the quality of life of patients undergoing radiation therapy by enabling health care providers to design smarter treatment plans, work more effi ciently, and reduce toxic side effects.
- Cancer is the second leading cause of mortality in EU countries with 2.6 million people diagnosed with the disease every year. The human and fi nancial costs of NCDs are high and expected to grow, also considering the EU’s ageing population.
- Europe is struggling to face these increasing demands. The clinical oncology workforce is often understaffed and, without investment, this shortfall is predicted to grow even more. These shortages could result in patient treatment delays and sub-optimal outcomes.
- AI-based tools like TheraPanacea’s ART-Plan in the RT workfl ow which can automatise time-consuming treatment planning and delivery can help optimise human resources, streamline and standardise treatment planning workflow, and potentially improve outcomes for current and future patients.
- In particular, it can be used to help the EU in their support of Member States who are most in need of evidence-based policy making to ensure that all EU citizens have equal access to high quality cancer treatment.
- Finally, TheraPanacea has benefi ted from grants like the H2020 SME and AI-DReAM (BPI) projects in collaboration with centers from Germany and France to advance the research of the use of state-of-the-art tools that have the potential to improve the treatment outcomes of millions of cancer patients.
Our areas of intervention
- Our goal is to provide much faster and more efficient solutions for cancer treatments. TheraPanacea’s solutions marketed since 2019 allow to treat over 50 000 patients a year.
- We are involved in many research projects – collaborating with European clinical centers – to advance cancer treatments with our AI-based technologies.
- In 2019, H2020 – SME Instrument Phase 2 rewarded the most promising European companies in their market. TheraPanacea was successful and got an award for its solution considered as disruptive, with MRI-based radiotherapy.
- TheraPanacea has also been involved in the AI DReAM project. This project launched by GE Healthcare in 2020, concerns the development of dose painting solutions for glioblastoma treatment, to create predictive solutions for cancer treatment by immunotherapy.
- End of 2021, Biogen and TheraPanacea announced a new collaboration. The aim is to leverage machine learning (ML)
and artificial intelligence (AI) analysis to develop digital health solutions that may improve patient care, accelerate drug development, and further the understanding of the underlying pathologies of neurological diseases.